sunnuntai 25. joulukuuta 2011

Macabre - I Mean Merry Christmas

I'm staying with my relatives in Northern Finland for the holidays. It's been great fun: here we traditionally stuff ourselves with homemade season cuisines, drill a hole on the surface of a frozen solid lake and take a dive after sauna, and as is usual in Finland, we actually celebrate Christmas on the 24th, unlike rest of the World.
    I don't actually have a film review for today, but I'd like to take the time and say something about a very unique piece of art, which also happens to be connected to this particular holiday.

Rare Exports (2010, Finland)

Find it, if you can. It's worth it. Rare Exports is more scifi than horror for what I intend present in this blog, but I must insist that you take the opportunity to have look if given a chance. It's so dark and so unorthodox for a Christmas movie it's a perfect alternative for a 12 hour montage of Rudolph and shorter-than-life tall actors playing elves. (Not that I don't like traditional holiday films, I just enjoy a new twist to an old concept. Most Christmas movies tend to be poignantly predictable - but since I'm a regular horror watcher, that excuse sounds sort of weak (hence all the drinking games/bingos/whatever made of slasher cliches...).)
    Rare Exports is a perfect holiday film - but this one is not for kiddies. It shows what the actual Santa Claus really does to naughty children. Or adults. And it's not pretty.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti