tiistai 8. marraskuuta 2011

Happy very, very late Halloween

I've put a lot of thought into my creative work lately. You see, after finishing my second novel I went through this months lasting dry season when I didn't type a word, much less read anything (not that it's unusual for me; for a writer I read voluntarily awfully little. That's why it's so weird I ended up being a student of literature). I've come to sort of define myself through my writing, so not working for so long was a bit unnerving.

Thankfully, this phase passed. And even though I lost a long period of time I could've used to try and creep closer to my goal as a professional author, those months were refreshing (and not just 'cause it happened to be summer). I had time to experiment on other creative fields. I turned my life long obsession with horror films into something camp, unpolished and naive but gorgeous. The film was my first completed one and it was published online on Finnish All Saints' Day a few days ago.

The reason I'm sharing this, or the fact that the name Raven Reel is actually a translation from the film "corporation" Studio Korppikela's name, is not just because of shameless self-advertisement. I'm hoping to get back to indie films some time in the future, but this blog won't be my means to do that. I'm not sure if we'll hear that much about Korppikela after this post. The reason I'm telling about my first non-budget/no-prospects clip is to show where I'm coming from.

I have an unconditional love for horror films and for a good pile of everything associated with them. I like watching them, last summer I discovered I liked making them, and with my writer backround I've wondered how it would be like to review them. Still, I'm not a film elitist; I have my tastes and pet peeves and it's going to show in my critiques, but I attempt to see the genre as a whole, and the pieces as part of that particular tradition of story telling.

Now the last thing: my film. Unfortunately the audio is entirely in Finnish, but I'm going to give it a try, if someone here would still fall for it (curiousity killed the cat, y'know).

Hugs and knives,
Salatieteilijä

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti